Beverly City Police Department
The Beverly City Police Department is proud to announce a new initiative in our crime prevention program. Starting in September 2015 the department implemented a new Community Watch Program (CWP). This is how it works. If you see something suspicious…call. Don’t expect that someone else has already made the call. You may remain anonymous by telling the dispatcher you do not want to give your name. Also we are asking residents with video surveillance cameras to register with us because video is one of the best methods of apprehending criminals and convicting suspects who are caught in the act of committing a crime.
SCAM ALERTS: The Beverly Police Department has been receiving calls about phone-related scams.
– DO NOT provide any personal information to anyone over the telephone.
– DO NOT provide any account numbers.
– DO NOT provide Social Security numbers.
– DO NOT withdraw or send any money.
– DO contact the Police Department if you are a victim of fraud
IRS PHONE SCAM ALERT: If you received a call from the IRS please review the information below.
The IRS generally first contacts people by mail – not by phone – about unpaid taxes and the IRS will not ask for payment using a prepaid debit card, a money order or a wire transfer. The IRS also will not ask for a credit card number or your bank information over the phone.
If you get a call from someone claiming to be with the IRS asking for a payment, or your credit card or bank account information, here’s what to do:
- If you owe Federal taxes, or think you might owe taxes, hang up and call the IRS at 800-829-1040. IRS workers can help you with your payment questions.
- If you do not owe taxes, fill out the “IRS Impersonation scam” form on TIGTA’s website, www.tigta.gov or call TIGTA at 800-366-4484.
- You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov. Add “IRS Telephone Scam” to the comments in your complaint.
TIGTA encourages taxpayers to be alert to phone and e-mail scams that use the IRS name. The IRS will never request personal or financial information by e-mail, text, or any social media. You should forward scam e-mails to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not open any attachments or click on any links in those e-mails.
Read more about tax scams on the official IRS website at www.irs.gov.
Community Watch: Video Surveillance Camera Registration Form. Please click here.
Beverly Community Watch Contact Information
To report Suspicious Activity….609-267-8300
Forms and Instructions:
Information for Victims of Fraud and Identity Theft (provided by FINRA)
Please go to http://www.finra.org/investors/protect-your-identity for more information.
The following is a link to the Federal Trade Commission Website with excellent tips and information from reporting identity theft and easy to follow steps to help recover from identity theft. Please go to https://www.identitytheft.gov/
If you have a tip about a crime or criminal activity in your area, please call (609) 747-4083. ALL calls are kept confidential.
Have you witnessed a crime or other illegal activity? Email your tips to TIPS@thecityofbeverly.com. All information will remain confidential.